Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tunnel Vision

Lately I've found myself with severe tunnel vision...it's like there's only one thing I'm focused on. Everything else really does fade into the background, it's not attention grabbing anymore. I just keep hearing the words in my head. "Well done good and faithful servant." Standing before Jesus, the one who died to save me and give me life, I will hear these words. I will look into His sweet amazing face, and I'll be home. Where I belong.

So many times it's easy to see things in the world that entice me. They might not even be wrong, but they don't allow me to use my time for the two purposes that I'm here: to spread the gospel and to become more like Christ. They don't let me redeem the time. It's becoming less and less difficult to turn my back on those things and have heavenly tunnel vision. My life on this earth serves no purpose but to bring glory to God through my service to Him. I love what that entails. It allows me to meet people with whom I can become close and share what God has been teaching me, encourage them, and point them to Christ. It allows me to go places and speak the name of Christ unashamed. For my purpose God has given me gifts and desires such as changing lives through teaching. It allows me to spend time learning about God, talking with Him, and getting ready for Heaven. I'm a stranger here...this world really isn't my home. I understand what Paul said in Phil. 1:23-26 "I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again." I want to be with Christ, but I am needed here. Until God says it's time for me to come home, I'm going to push on with the goal of Heaven in mind.

So in everything I do here, I have to ask the question, "If I was to lay this offering (my time, my actions, my words, my things, etc.) before the throne of God, would He say well done?" If the answer is not 100% sure YES! THen I need to reevaluate what I am doing. I'm a stranger here on earth, and my life has to be sold out, totally dedicated, 100% given to the furthering the name of Jesus and becoming more like Him. It's not about me or the world or anything, it's a life of Christ.

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

In other news, church was great today! Everyone was very welcoming, and I felt part of the family as soon as I walked in the door. I'm finding it more and more necessary to gather with believers. I can't imagine not having that and God has been gracious in allowing me to worship Him freely each Sunday. I think of other believers in countries like China, and I am so much more grateful for what I have.

The message was about endurance. "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2. Jesus' joy was doing the Father's will. He had one purpose on earth and that was to accomplish the mission to which He was sent and then go home to glory. That's my mission too. It goes along with the tunnel vision. My perfect example of endurance and pressing on is Jesus Himself (as always :) He endured and went to the cross. He knew what the pain would be like, but He didn't waver or give in to the world. He pressed on and so will I. When it seems to hard, I think of Jesus' death. That was much harder. So where there's pain and sorrow, there's greater comfort, joy, and peace.

In-service starts tomorrow!!! I'm so excited!!!! Then in a week I get to meet my kiddies. Oh, I just realized it's almost 12:30! I have to be up early tomorrow, so tata for now.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment