Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oh Great God

I taught Sunday School for the first time today. It went very well. One of the kids in Sunday School is in my 5th grade class. I guess that was good because it meant he was comfortable with me and my teaching style. All in all it was a good first time. :)

I began tutoring two boys twice a week. They are both...high energy! That's one way of saying it. We went to the nearby stationary store and bought "power pencils." I let them each choose a pencil that they would use to help them study very hard. It didn't make too much of a dent in my budget, and it was very exciting for them so it was money well spent. One boy who has been doing quite poorly actually memorized most of his Bible verse for the week. I was very proud of him, and it makes me want to help him even more. They are very precious children!!

Tomorrow is our first class party. We'll be playing some party games (I know they'll beg to play "three on a couch" and I'll consent.) I baked rainbow chip cupcakes with chocolate frosting because tomorrow is also the birthday of the only girl in my class. Often times the mother of the student who is having a birthday will bring snacks or even pizza and chicken. We'll have drinks and whatnot. It should be a fun time. :) I THOUGHT I would get to bed early tonight, but now I get to clean my previously cleaned kitchen that is now covered with cupcake stuff.

I will for sure be moving in about 2 weeks. This time it is a guarantee because the contract for this apartment expires. Who am I kidding? Nothing here is ever a guarantee. I've learned, however, to just go with the flow.

The weather is slowly but surely getting colder. I now sleep with a shirt and hoodie, flannel pants under my sweat pants, fuzzy socks, and two blankets and still wake up with a cold nose. It's partly my fault because I refuse to turn on the heat when I'm not getting hypothermia or anything like that. Plus the fact that I don't even know how to work the heat...Today was the first partly cloudy day in a long time. The sky has been so blue and the air so dry and crisp. The leaves are really changing colors, and fall is quickly turning into winter. As I was typing this I saw the clock change to 12am on November 1. I think we skipped October...where did it go?

I have to say that I'm thankful that the Lord has allowed me to not succumb to the many ailments that strike elementary schools across the world around this time of the year. My students have been getting colds and whatnot, but I've been able to avoid them. Praise God!

"12I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. 17To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." 1 Timothy 1:12-17

I've been reading the Timothys in my devotions in the last few days. When I read these verses they never cease to amaze me that God would love me in spite of what I've done and die to save me to glorify Himself. Mind blowing. I've also been reading in Jeremiah. I especially love these verses:

4Now the word of the LORD came to me, saying,

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,and before you were born I consecrated you;I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

6Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth."7But the LORD said to me,

"Do not say, 'I am only a youth';for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,and whatever I command you, you shall speak. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD."

9 Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the LORD said to me,

"Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. 10See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down,to destroy and to overthrow,to build and to plant." Jeremiah 1:4-10

I sometimes wonder if people will even listen to me when I tell them that I want to start an orphanage in China. Will they hear my message and say, "Oh, she's just a child. She doesn't have the experience or schooling or money to accomplish this." What if I can't answer questions that I'm asked? What if I stumble on my words when I'm speaking in a church? What if? What if? Well, Jeremiah said that he was just young and didn't know what to say. God assured him that He would put the words in Jeremiah's mouth. He also commanded Jeremiah not to be afraid because God would be with him. I'm not a prophet, but I am a messenger for God who will bring the good news of Jesus' love and salvation to China. He will give me the words, the strength, the time, the money, and everything I need to do the job. When God gives someone a job to do, He gives them what they need to finish the job. A promise I can hold on to.

Sometimes I look at my life and compare it to Paul. Of course, Paul wasn't perfect, but his life as a worker for Christ seemed so amazing. He was so selfless and giving and he followed God no matter where it took him. He was so in love with God. Then I look at my life and see the job that God's given me to do as one that is not as great as Paul's. But then I think...God's given me this job. Doesn't that make it great? Even if it's teaching a class of 5 5th graders for 8 hours a day or go around preaching in churches, it's what God's asked us to do. That makes it necessary and worthwhile and rewarding. One task isn't any more important than the other. The fact is that if God gives me something to do, I need to do it with all that I have knowing that it fits into God's plan somewhere and is just as important as anything else. Now I'm rambling...

To close I'll post a poem that I wrote today. I was reading in Psalms and a few other books and combined some verses into a poem.

He keeps my heart in perfect peace

As my soul trusts in Jesus' care

He is a rock that never moves

Jehovah al my burdens shares

God's steadfast love will never end

As He pours mercies on His own

He'll be my portion, says my soul

Until I stand before His throne


The Lord is love, and He is good

To those who seek His precious face

He'll ever lead us through the fire

As we trust only in His grace

His love will fortify our faith


He knows my sin and loves me still

I will make known His faithfulness

And I will sing forever more

I'll praise Him with my dying breath

My heart is glad, He's done great things

And on my tongue are shouts of praise

I'll love the Lord for He is good

And will be good through all my days


The Lord is love, and He is good

To those who seek His precious face

He'll ever lead us through the fire

As we trust only in His grace

His love will fortify our faith



Remember to look for the blessings that God showers on your life and praise Him and thank Him for them. He's a great God! Peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment