Friday, November 19, 2010

SO

SO. I'm in my new apartment, 3/4 of the way through November, and loving every minute. Back to that November part, I cannot even believe that this month has passed so quickly. Did we even have October? Christmas is coming...only 17 more school days, in fact. Then it's on to Taiwan for some fun in the sun Christmas style, and then on to Detroit for the much anticipated nuptials of my sister! Someone recently called me crazy for doing so much in 2 weeks, and I might be crazy. Crazy excited! Sure, jet lag might be my best friend during that time, but it's worth it. I was going back to past Christmas traditions, and I was thinking how strange it will be to spend Christmas in a Taiwanese hostel where the weather is 70 degrees and there isn't the hustle and bustle of Christmas shoppers and dazzling trees everywhere. I think it will be awesome! I'll miss my family, though, but we'll be together soon.

School has been going really well! I got a new student who has extremely low English. My other students are all excellent English speakers, and it makes it difficult to have two completely different levels. The new boy is very smart and super precious! I know in time he'll learn quickly and improve leaps and bounds. I'll just keep working with him.

We were reviewing States and Capitals recently.

Me: "What's the capital of Hawaii."
Student 1: "Honolulu!"
Student 2: "That's where Obama was born. Or so he SAYS, but I think he's lying."

We recently celebrated the birthday of my new student. The mother had brought chicken, pizza, oranges, kimbap, juice, soda, and a cake (a feast!!) The kids had just finished eating their pizza, and some had started on their chicken. There were two plates left so one of the boys went over and brought both plates with him.

Boy 1: "Which plate of chicken do you want?"
Boy 2: "JOY. I left the bigger one for you."

JOY means Jesus Others You. I taught the kids that a while back, and I was so happy that they were not only listening and remembered it, but I've seen them put it into practice. Sometimes they struggle back and forth with what they want to do and what they know would be putting others first, but they always choose others. I'm so happy to see God working in their lives.

When I was in school and report card time rolled around, I always got 3 (1=highest, 3=lowest) in "cheerful prompt obedience." I shared that with my students because we all have trouble obeying at times, some more than others. They were surprised, but I'm human too. We looked up "prompt" in the dictionary, I one of the boys summarized it as, "obeying right away with a happy heart." Pretty good! We call it CPO now. It goes well with JOY, DIC (due in class), RO (rip out), RB (reading buddies), and our various hand signals for "repeat", "bathroom", and others.

I got back into beading. I found out that Esther loves to bead, and that fueled my fire. I also discovered that the wife of another teacher also enjoys it. I found that I can go to this massive underground shopping place where they have loooong necklaces for a dollar, buy a bunch, and then take them apart and use the beads for all sorts of new projects. It's MUCH cheaper than buying individual beads!! Anyways, that my new hobby too.

I learned how to make this yummy cinnamon tea using fresh cinnamon sticks (I'm never going back to powder) and ginger root. A perfect fall/winter warm up! When I was making it, I discovered that I in fact have an electric burner! I grew up with electric burners, but since being here and using a gas oven, I've gotten so used to it that I forgot how easy an electric one is. WOW! I just turn the dial and BAM! :) Granted, I only have one and no oven, but it's better than nothing. They thought of everything in this apartment. The kitchen sink even has a pulley-outey thing. Not sure what it's called. There's a hanging drying rack, built in closets and desk, a fridge, and it's just really really nice. God has totally blessed me with this apart.

The other day I decided to give my students a short break because they had been working hard all day, and I felt like they were fading. I hardly every give breaks...maybe never, except recess and lunch of course...anyways, they looked at me with quizzical looks.

Me: "I'm going to give you a five minute break to walk around and talk and stretch."
Student: "Really?"
Me: *laugh* "Yes. YOu better start before the time runs out."
a few minutes later...
Student: "I'm not sure what I think of this. I think maybe you're testing us."

Of course I died laughing. Later on they were working on a worksheet. I don't usually let them talk because then they don't get their work done. I decided to allow them to talk because the worksheet was basically just coloring the different regions of the U.S.

Me: "You may talk while you work as long as you don't get distracted and keep working."
Student: "Miss Janke! Why are you letting us talk and have break time? I really think you're testing us and I'm kind of nervous!"
Me: "Ok." *chuckled*

They didn't know what to think. It was pretty great.

One girl walked up to us at lunch, said "my tooth is very loose," touched the tooth and surprised us all when it fell out as if on command. We laughed, and she was shocked because it started to bleed. I'm not sure what she was expecting...glitter to fall out or something?

The 4th grade class was learning about plants and how they need carbon dioxide to grow. The teacher came across one boy breathing on the plants.

Teacher: "What are you doing?"
Student: "I'm helping his plant grow. It needs help because it's very small."

I love kids and their logic!!

I forgot how cold winter can be. I haven't pulled out my winter coat yet. I read that it's snowing in some places in the U.S. I'd like to be in Taiwan right now where it's sometimes in the 80's and 90's. Ahh sun!

"27But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:27-31

BECAUSE OF HIM

Because of Jesus I was found in my sin
Brought to a cleansing stream and washed from within
Because of my great God I stand on a solid Rock
I have new life and it's all because of Him

Because of Him, I am saved
Redeemed, made new, and justified
Because of Him, I cannot boast
Except in Christ the crucified
I find the strength to fight
My hope in life
The peace I cannot understand
In Him

Because my Savior loved me more than His life
Unconditional, He bore the cross for me
He knew how I would sin and went there anyways
I'll never die and it's all because of Him


I recently experience deja vu, and it brought my mind spiritual deja vu. You know, when you sin, ask forgiveness, and then ask God to help you defeat that sin. Then later on, you commit the same sin and repeat the process. It brings to mind the thought, "I've been here before." Spiritual deja vu. Only this kind is real, not simply an imagined thought. It's one thing to ask God for forgiveness and help. It's another thing to actually take and put on the armor of God, daily, hourly, even minute by minute if need be ask God to help you fight Satan and his attacks, and consciously think about the right. I've had too many times where I've experience spiritual deja vu, and I for one would like to get rid of that and start taking up the armor of God.

"10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints," Ephesians 6:10-18

Here are some pictures of my new place. Peace!











No comments:

Post a Comment