Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ha ha YAY! Pumpkin Puree!

I was on the metro last night and we had 14 stops before home so I was standing up working on my Korean homework. This younger Korean guy was standing very close to me since the metro was pretty full, and he kept glancing down at my paper. They're always curious. Anyways, I turned the paper over and wrote "I am American" in Korean. Then, to see if he was really watching, I crossed out American and wrote Korean. He was watching and he chuckled. So I crossed that out and wrote Canadian. Then I wrote "what is your name" and he told me and asked mine so I told him. I said nice to meet you, and he wrote something long that I only got bits of. Then he translated it and I wrote that his English was good and he said no and I said yes!! And then he said something else and I said cool and then he wrote that he had to get off because it was his stop and I said bye. No words at all, just writing. It was interesting.

My English is failing me! I just said "it looks very pretty color." Oh dear...I'm doomed!!

Last night we went to this market (very large) and it was gushing rain. It's so interesting to look around at all of the things that they have everywhere...so much stuff. Some cheap, some expensive. Very cheap jade and expensive clothes all mushed together with isles through which you can barely walk. I learned the Korean word for "cross" which I...amazingly enough...still remember.

The field trip went well. A few downs, bust mostly ups. Right when we got off the subway when we got there, one of my kids said that he had left his cell phone on the train. Of course, there was no consoling him, and so we went to the metro police where one of my kids translated so we could find a number to call lost and found. As it turns out later, he found it. Then we went out of the metro and really had no idea where to go from there. We asked around and finally found a bus that we hoped would take us to the museum. It did. We had a blast! We ate lunch in this basement room that had a bunch of tables and a big open floor space. There was literally no one else at the museum that day except the workers, and so we had the whole room to ourselves. After lunch (and thanks to the grumpy kids) we turned off the lights and made them take a nap. Of course, the teachers didn't mind a little shut eye. This all went well until a man came down and ordered us to turn the lights on and open then doors because this is a public room for everyone to use (because all the people were banging on the doors wanting in...) It was great fun!

Well, time to eat some dinner. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment